BVC-CHAT Rear Derailleur Hanger

Sherman Watters swatters at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 17:01:30 CDT 2007

Speaking from a material mechanics background -- It's hard to believe that
regular wear and tear (e.g. shifting) would cause the derailleur hanger to
"shear" off like that. Have you changed your chain recently? If a link
locked up somehow (or it may have been a pulley bearing), it could have
caused the chain to jump off the pulleys, get lodged, and pull the
derailleir backwards, and over the cassette and into the spokes etc. Bikes
are mysterious beasts at times...

At any rate, sorry to hear about the accident.

--
Sherman Watters II