BVC-CHAT Another Winderful Ride

Brett texafornia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 17:29:58 CST 2008

That's a really solid workout.  Now that you're going longer, don't worrytoo
much about distance and avg mph.  That's secondary to time and HR.

I've interviewed bunches of pro triathletes and almost every one won't be
able to tell you the exact distance and mph of their last training ride.
They will definitely be able to tell you how long they rode and and at what
HR/wattage/or effort level.  I couldn't believe it when I learned that.  The
reason why is that weather conditions and hills makes such a huge impact on
your speed, it is nearly impossible to compare one ride to another. I
remember asking Andrea Fisher how fast she goes on a training ride and she
said "uhhhh, i don't know.  I usually do about 3 hours this time of year at
70% of max wattage."  I was like "huh?"

I see an average HR of 142 for 2.5 hours and I can tell that's good.  You
could tell me 22 mph for 40 miles and that could be mostly with the wind and
downhill.  Or not.  Keep up the decent HR for long rides and you'll be very
happy with your fitness.  You should also look online for HR testing
guidelines, test yourself, and then workout in the zones given for the type
of workout you want to accomplish.  Don't use one of those charts that uses
your age and then tells you what your zones are.  Everybody is different and
HRs are not comparable from person to person.