[BVC-CHAT] Input needed: Hike & bike trails in south College Station

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 6 08:25:02 CST 2009

[Re-sent to bvc-chat without the attachments.]

Howdy,
the city of College Station has been planning (and with the bond election
last November now also has the money to build) some Hike and Bike trails
around the city. For your general information, I a page from the CS
planning document that outlines where these trails will be is at
  http://www.brazoscyclists.org/bike-paths.pdf

Of particular interest I find one that would lead from Victoria all the way
out to Lick Creek Park. It would cut through the greenbelt behind our
house, but that aside I would like to get input on the type of path they
plan:
- it would be 10ft wide, made of concrete
- within a 20ft clearing through the forest
That's the same style in which the Wolf Pen Creek Park way is built. I find
that not very appealing, and unnecessarily invasive. A narrower gravel path
would do the job much better, I think, and may be able to provide shade
(something of which this city does not have enough). I do find the general
idea of a path out there quite positive, however.

I have drafted a letter to Venessa Garza, the city planner for this path,
which is here:
  http://www.brazoscyclists.org/garza-letter
I would be very much interested in getting feedback (positive as well as
negative) so that I can truly speak for the cycling community about this
issue.

I am also looking for help to identify other communities I could talk to.
Is there a Mountain Bike listserv somewhere that I could post to? Anyone
else?

In any case, any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth                email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu