[DP] Voir Dire transcript

Steve Olshewsky steveo at tamu.edu
Tue Apr 9 23:10:30 CDT 2002

I do not have it, but will give a shout if I see it.

Many parts of the Voir Dire are objectionable to me.  If we are getting an
actual transcript, then you will see that there are telling differences in
delivery.  One example is that if asked "would you have a hard time putting
someone to death?" or "do you have any trouble with killing someone?" an
answer in the affirmative from a potential juror is grounds for dismissal
for cause.

So the process insures that all those on the jury are only those willing to
kill, that is without a sense of right and wrong about killing.  On the
other hand, the jury is "of our peers" and "representative of society" and
"acting on our behalf" and worst of all is that after the system creates
this killing juggernaut, the system feigns innocence of the killing saying
it is the will of the people and that the jury is responsible.

Oh wait, I was going to wait until that became obvious to others from
reading it.

I do feel there is a Constitutional violation in the range of "cruel &
unusual" in asking the prospective juror if they can fulfill their legal
duties by killing a person.  Sort of suggests that your natural instincts
for life are something to feel bad about.